The Manager's Journal is a blog written by Michael Turner telling you all about his Football Manager journey. Football Manager 2011 is the 5th game in the series that he has written about, the first being a blog written about CM99/00. Now, almost 10 years on from the first post, and still keen to write, the site will also contain posts about real-life football, just in case you have been focusing on FM too much.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Season Preview

After a season of no challenges, a power surge, and a daft overlook by me on whether I was still using a real-time editor of any sort, I have set out on a new task.

My new team? The Wolves.


Taking control of a sub-Premiership team has always been something that I have enjoyed, so, as I did 4 years ago with CM 4, I decided to use the same team.

As I took over, my squad was expected to come 6th this season. I thought that was a reasonable target, so I set out to impress.

I took the squad and looked at it for a long time. Trying to work out a tactic for a league which I hadn't played for in a long time, is hard, but I'm going to stick to trial and error. I'm not going to make my tactic known for now, but it'll most likely be a 4-4-2 (or variation) or a 4-3-3 style tactic.

The squad, as I took over, looked like this:


The season was to start off with a few normal friendlies, however I organised my usual tour of another nation, one of my tactics to get the players ready. This year, I chose Ireland, with 4 average clubs which took my liking.


Out of the entire squad, one player stood out the most, and that is Michael Kightly.

I'm still not sure where to place him, on the wing or as a playmaker. He has great dribbling ability, speed, determination, and crosses well. I can't wait to see him in action. He's is the man to watch this year for Wolves.



With a gaping hole in my defensive line, I have taken the task to look for a replacement. With a browse through other teams, I managed to spy a 29 year old Portuguese defender sitting in Tottenham Reserves, Ricardo Rocha.



Look out for him as an addition to the Wolves squad this season.

3 comments:

  1. Great start mate, Ill be following this blog it looks good. Nice find with that defender he looks a good player, I hope you can get him. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mate, and once again, thanks for pointing out my obvious flaw. I should stick with CM4 for experimenting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd choose to play a 4-4-2, cause as you said you have a great winger, then you should use the pace of Ebanks-Blake upfront, unstoppable at this level!

    A top marksman candidate.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete